From: MLewis

I'm hoping a timing GPS module, with their claims of being successful
(to the precision I need anyway) on few, or even a single sat. Finger's
crossed.

Yes, that's what I thought as well, until I bought and tested one and found out that - in practice - they need an even /better/ set of GPS signals than a simpler position GPS/PPS.

With a GPS/PPS even Windows can get within 1 millisecond, particularly with Windows-8 or 10:

 http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php#windows-stratum-1

I monitor the comp.protocols.time.ntp Usenet group and would be happy to continue there.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-tay...@blueyonder.co.uk