Yes, that's what I thought as well, until I bought and tested one and
found out that - in practice - they need an even /better/ set of GPS
signals than a simpler position GPS/PPS.

Since that's not my experience (even with poor antenna position) I'm
curious which unit you were using.

Paul,

Venus838LPX-T. Seems to go into a non-locked state for a proportion of the time but still emits a PPS signal, which increasingly deviates from true UTC. That's using a 25 mm square 28 dB active patch antenna, similar to the antennas on other similarly located GPS receivers. This was indoors, on the top floor of a two-storey building, with just the power fed to it, watching the LED flash.

Maybe I was unlucky?  I wonder what experience others have?

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-tay...@blueyonder.co.uk