Think of it as an ocean liner trying to keep a dead straight course to it's destination. It weighs many tons and wind and waves may drive it off it's path but the captain can correct for this. It eventually arrives at it's destination and is only a few feet
from the dock.

The total rotating mass of all the generators in a network is many times the mass of an ocean liner. The operators do their best to keep them running at the correct frequency. Unexpected load changes can cause some divergence, but over time the average is
dead on.

When I installed power plants in the 1970's they has a special "clock" that showed the cumulative error in terms of clock time. The clock had two inputs, one from the utility power and the other from some reference, possibly WWV. Normally the "clock" was
pointing up at zero and not moving.

If the generator ran a little too fast the clock would move forward. As the operator observed the clock moving away from zero he would reduce the plant's power and the clock would move backward toward zero. His goal was to keep the clock at zero and not moving. Thus, your bedside clock was always on time even if there were temporary
excursions fast or slow.

Pete.