It appears there is no command to set the current time in the Thunderbolt. Too bad. I have some very old Garmin OEMs (GPS35) that work fine as long as I set the time and date to be close. I just had to do a RAM reset ( $PGRMI,,,,,,,C <CR> <LF> ) on one which had gotten corrupted and would not report position properly (all zeros). After reset, once it got its initial fix it was reporting a date in 1997, but reports correctly now that the time and date were set (also using the $PGRMI command). It even has the current GPS week (1959) correct.

David N1HAC