On 06/02/18 22:21, Angus via time-nuts wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 14:54:23 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> 3) itÂ’s designed for continuous outdoor use  (connector is well shielded etc)
>
> That's something that has always baffled me - the number of antennas
> which the manufacturers claim are suitable for long term outdoor use
> that have connectors which are impossible to seal without large
> quantities of sealant or whatever.

Generally speaking, you can seal most RF connectors quite nicely with a
few layers of self-amalgamating tape and a layer of PVC tape over the
top of that (to protect from UV).

Practically speaking, if the antenna is mounted on the top of a pole,
>95% of the rainwater is going to run down the side of the antenna and
drip off the edge (assuming something shaped roughly like a PCTel 26dB
timing antenna). The seals are more use if the antenna is mounted on a
flat surface.

--
Phil.
li...@philpem.me.uk