I recently got a strange little 1U FEI rack mounted unit called an
FE-7923F-100-1,
which appears to have rear 10MHz and dual 100Mhz outputs. it is called a Frequency Reference Unit.

sadly, my unit has a fault light, and no outputs. All the internal supplies look good, and there is an FE-83AA (10.0Mhz) and FE-1020-100 (100Mhz) OCXO inside.  both of these work (when measured at the oscillators), and seem to have meaningful control including EFC, and I tracked down the adjustments in a sea of what seem to be prototype boards next to the oscillators. so, I have two good sources, adjustable, but still no outputs. the OCXO signals disappear into a set of boards with no useful markings as to function, and look mainly digital.

the 100Mhz unit has only about 200mV p-p output, which seems low to me, the other has lots of signal. I cannot find any data on either unit on line or at the FEI website, so any data that is out there would be very welcome, so I can be sure they at least are running correctly.

I am hoping to use this rack as a source of RF reference signals in other gear, but clearly I will have to either gut the rest of the circuitry and add some new buffers, or figure out the rats nest of hand wiring to determine why it's not working.  any help in that area hugely appreciated, and I can send pics to anybody interested to know more about the internals.

the rear apron has AC power in, a 10MHz output SMA, a switch next to it that says INT/EXT REF. (set to INT), but no way to attach an external ref.  then there's a D-Sub filtered connector, that runs to the stacked digital boards, but its purpose is unknown as I cannot see where the connections go.  there are also two 100Mhz SMA outputs, but all outputs are dead, with no signal, and the front ONLINE green LED is dark, and the red FAULT LED is lit. the oscillators do not run to the rear jacks but disappear into three pcbs.

hoping for some FEI data if anybody has some to share.
all the best,
walter

--
Walter Shawlee 2, President