I learned a useful rule of thumb design procedure for 2nd degree PLLs some
time ago
(I'll speak in the context of using an inverting op-amp in the loop
gain/filter stage):

Step 1: Short the capacitor in the opamp's FB loop, then set the resistor
so that
the PLL has the desired loop bandwidth.  This is the gain part of the
adjustment.

2. Then set the capacitor value so that its reactance at the frequency of
the loop BW
is about 1/5th the resistance that you set in step 1.  This is the damping
setting step.

3. Then examine the overall loop behavior for its damping behavior.  If
there are no
"hidden poles" somewhere, the above should yield pretty good results right
off that
bat, but a little tweaking is always fair game if you want.

However, there *are* often "hidden rolloffs" (poles) somewhere, and damping
behavior will be degraded.  Such poles are most likely to arise in two
areas-
the VCO itself, or the opamp you're using.  Be sure that the opamp's gain-
bandwidth is much larger than required, said requirement being the product
of the gain being called for in the opamp stage and the desired PLL
bandwidth.
And VCOs always introduce hidden poles into the loop, which are not usually
well documented in the oscillator's specsheet (if at all).

But with luck you won't run into either problem area for the low loop
bandwidths
typically desired in oscillator-cleanup PLL applications.

Dana      K8YUM