I have been using tinc in routed mode for many years. However, I tried today to use tinc in switch mode and it doesn't seem to be working.
The problem is that my router is running a very old version of tinc! I am wondering if anyone remembers whether a bug like this was fixed... I have set up two nodes, running tinc, in switch mode. One is running an up to date version of tinc (from debian testing). But one (call it "router") is running an old version: tinc version 1.0.3 (built Jan 27 2005 10:19:28, protocol 17) What is happening is that the connections get set up fine, but I can't communicate through the switch. Looking at -d5 I see that when I ping from the router to the client, ARP messages are being passed from the bridge to the tinc tun interface, tinc receives those (42 byte messages), it forwards them to the client, the client tinc receives them, the client broadcasts them to its tun interface, the client then receives the ARP response from its tun interface, the client sends it to the router's tinc, which reports it has received it and is that it is broadcasting it to the tun interface. But the interface never receives it. The "Rx packets" counter on the tun interface on the router remains resolutely at 0 (Tx is going up, and both Tx and Rx are going up on the client). It seems that tinc on the router tries to send the ARP response (and all other packets it receives from the client) to the interface but the interface never sees it and never passes it up to the bridge. Does anyone remember a bug like this being fixed? If so, I might have to dig out my cross-compiler environment for the router and build a newer version of tinc. But that will be a long job! Of course, if anyone can suggest a configuration problem which could lead to this behaviour that would be even better! I'm not hopeful of getting a resolution without building a new version of tinc but I thought I would ask anyway! Graham _______________________________________________ tinc mailing list [email protected] http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc
