Address recognition is in both hardware and software.  You can disable
address recognition in hardware to sniff packets, but with software
acknowledgements enabled you don't want to send an ack back unless you've
received a packet to your local address or to the broadcast address. That's
why there's a redundant check.

Hardware address recognition is enabled by default, and the redundant
software address check performed for acknowledgements doesn't change that.

Note at the top of CC2420ControlP the compile time options you have
available (you should be able to configure these at runtime as well)

#if defined(CC2420_NO_ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS)
    autoAckEnabled = FALSE;
#else
    autoAckEnabled = TRUE;
#endif

#if defined(CC2420_HW_ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS)
    hwAutoAckDefault = TRUE;
#else
    hwAutoAckDefault = FALSE;
#endif

// This changes the hardware address recognition.
#if defined(CC2420_NO_ADDRESS_RECOGNITION)
    addressRecognition = FALSE;
#else
    addressRecognition = TRUE;
#endif