Sandhya,

I've done some similar work with embedded systems interfacing with GSM modems using RS-232(serial) connections. Basically what I had to do was create my own interface to the GSM modem using AT commands. The micaz platform has an RS-232 connection (the connection is usually obtained by using a mib510/mib520 gateway) which you can use to send AT commands to the GSM modem.

One of the first things you will need to do is create your own component for TX/RX plain text (ASCII) over the serial port. The issue is that by default, tinyos sends/receives ActiveMessage Packets over the serial port, just as if it had sent/received that message over the wireless link. You will need to change this so that you use ASCII over the serial.

Once you do this, it's simply a matter of creating the required interface that will properly initialize the GSM modem, open TCP/UDP sockets, and sending information over the serial port using at commands(ie: ATD, AT+REBOOT, etc.)

Whatever GSM modem you decide to use, it should have a user manual defining all of the AT commands it supports. Several important commands to look for that will make your life easier: Echo -- when this is disabled, the serial port will no longer echo AT commands sent by the mote(enabling this when using hyperterminal/gtxterm makes your life easier, but when programatically sending commands, you don't need this as it makes parsing the mote's RX serial information that much harder), verbose -- This command may/may not be available, it will simplify the result of the AT command. Normally when you execute an AT command you might get a response back like "OK" or "OK\r\nip address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xx" with verbose set to the lowest setting, most results are shortened to an integer value, which makes parsing command/responses easier.

Certain commands have timing constraints. For example if you have opened a TCP socket, any serial output is redirected over the TCP socket. If you need to temporarily pause the connection and run another AT command. For my GSM modem, the key command was "+++". A good GSM modem user guide should have this information documented, however.

Good luck with your endeavor,
-Paul