From: "Michael Britt" <michael.br...@thepsychfiles.com>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 1:41:59 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [tips] Spanking - an idea that won't go away

In the latest episode of my podcast I interviewed the author of a
great parenting book: Raising Children You Can Live With.  Although
the author discuss a lot of great ideas regarding how to interact with
your child, it seems that my brief thoughts regarding the
ineffectiveness of spanking is getting the most response.  There's an
interesting comment on the episode from a listener who strongly feels
that spanking is needed in response to certain behaviors.  You'll see
my response as well.   Also, I feel there's a nice "marriage" I think
between behavioristic and humanistic philosophies in the author's
approach to dealing with undesirable behavior from children.  Since
spanking is an experience that most students have had, the episode
could make for an interesting discussion or homework around these two
different approaches to modifying a child's behavior.  If you want to
check it out:

http://bit.ly/vj4dZ

Michael

--