Here are some references, some with tangential findings:1.  This study finds
that African-American parents are more likely to deliver "mild physical
punishment" in an atmosphere of helping children be better, while
Caucasian-American parents (have we ruled on the use "caucasian" yet?) say
it's wrong, but when they resort to it, they're agitated:
Graziano, A.M. & Hamblen, J.L. (1996).  Subabusive violence in child-rearing
in middle-class American families.  *Pediatrics, 98,* 845-848.
2.  This article interviewed African-American parents, who described their
discipline tactics:
Mosby, L., Rawls, A.W., Meehan, A.L., Mays, E., & Pettinari, C.J.  (1999).
 Troubles in interracial talk about discipline:  An examination of
African-American child rearing narratives.  *Journal of Comparative Family
Studies, 30, * 489-521.

I have several others, but this probably makes the clearest case for more
physical discipline in African-American families during childhood (but not
adolescence).  It's a longitudinal study:
3.  Lansford, J.E., Deater-Deckard, K., Dodge, K.E., Bates, J.E. & Pettit,
G.S. (2004).  Ethnic differences in the link between physical discipline and
later adolescent externalizing behaviors.  *Journal of Child Psychology and
Psychiatry, 45,* 801-812.

That's my third post for the day.  Back to writing syllabi....

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University
New Hampshire