On 31 Aug 2009 at 13:41, Michael Britt wrote:

> In the latest episode of my podcast I interviewed the author of a
> great parenting book: Raising Children You Can Live With.  Although
> the author discuss a lot of great ideas regarding how to interact with
> your child, it seems that my brief thoughts regarding the ineffectiveness
> of spanking is getting the most response.

While I personally find spanking a distasteful method of child behaviour
control, that does not stop me from pointing out that the evidence
against it on scientific grounds is more equivocal than most people
realize, the anti-spanking crowd being dominant in academic circles. The
major problem is that much of the research is correlational, rending
causal conclusions moot.

Any even-handed (open, of course) treatment of this issue should include
mention of the minority position of respected academics such as Diane
Baumrind and Robert Lazerele that "normative" spanking (which excludes
child abuse) has not been shown to be harmful to the child, and may in
some circumstances be helpful. Of course, one is free to take a moral
position on this issue (as I do), but it should not be justified by
reference to studies of uncertain scientific merit.

See, for example

http://www.storesonline.com/site/846699/page/907857
and
http://faculty.biola.edu/paulp/
(bibliographies for Lazerele)

http://www.apa.org/journals/releases/bul1284580.pdf
(Baumrind/Lazerele commentary, Psychological Bulletin, 2002)

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/article/3518
(Baumrind invited address to APA [press release, 2001)

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University      e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Subscribe to discussion list (TIPS) for the teaching of
psychology at http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/tips/