On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Harry Avis wrote:

> Remeber that a correlation of .50 means that 25% of the variance is a
> population is caused by the variable selected ( Variance = correlation
> squared)

Curiously enough, this is not true for twin study correlations.
In this case a correlation of .50 means 50% of the variance
explained. I've tried on a number of occasions to understand why
this is so, but generally failed to follow the explanation.

For anyone who wants to try, though, Plomin (1990) discusses this
point, in a box titled "Interpreting correlations" on p. 43 of
his book _Nature and Nurture_. Bouchard et al, in a letter to
_Science_ 250, 1990, p. 1498) titled "when kin correlations are
not squared" has a go at the issue as well.

So I just believe it.

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/