Stephen:

This was not an attack on you. Did you see yourself in my comment? Did you take
offense by dint of your membership in the intelligentsia?

I was actually referring to the authors and not to you who just passed it along
to provoke comment. There is almost never anything of interest to argue about
in an actual finding (hey, if r(255)=.753, I'm not going to argue that the  p
is not less than .001). It is always about the interpretation. It is always the
possible extraneous variables and third factors. That is where the
complications come in that I want my students to consider; the more third
factors they can imagine, the better. I have to agree with Nancy Melucci, "The
more the conclusions appeal to us, the closer we should look." I will often use
correlational findings I believe my students will interpret to be supportive of
their preferred causal link in order to get them to think critically in a way
that is counter to their bias. This article could provide good practice for the
liberal-atheist-monogamists among us to test their chops.

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences
Professor of Psychology
Box 3055
John Brown University
2000 W. University Siloam Springs, AR  72761
rfro...@jbu.edu
(479)524-7295
http://tinyurl.com/DrFroman