Just for the record, Newton was sort of an occultist.

It's been claimed that his ability to posit action-at-a-distance (gravitational
attraction) was due entirely to his occult bent.  In those days, it would be
heretical for any intelligent person to propose an effect not transmitted by
contact.

So I don't think of him as deeply religious in the Christian sense.

There was a "natural theology" which aimed to reason about the characteristics
or existence of god (or gods -- it's been around a long, long time) by means of
observation and reason (e.g., St. Thomas's "proof" from motion, or design), but
it wasn't aiming at understanding the world.  So if you consider the *method*
of natural theology a precursor to modern science, I'll buy that.  The sad
thing is that reason + observation/experience wasn't considered a valid way of
coming to know by the mainstream Church until quite late -- 11th or 12th
century -- due, I think in large measure, to Augustine's neo-platonic
theology...

Marc Carter, PhD
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Psychology
College of Arts & Sciences
Baker University
--

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by Baker University ("BU") and is intended to be confidential and for
the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be
protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal
rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please
immediately notify Baker University by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=4925
or send a blank email to
leave-4925-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu