Allen Esterson wrote:
> Chris Green writes:
>
>> Indeed, if you recall your American history class, you
>> may remember that as long as the Civil War was officially
>> about "union," the British sided with the South (for the cotton)
>>

> That you may recall this doesn't make it true. Britain was neutral
> throughout the Civil War, and certainly didn't "side with the South"
> during any part of it.

"Sided with" was indeed too strong. It is true that Britain was
officially neutral, but they were, shall we say, sympathetic to the
South (entirely on grounds of self-interest -- an independent
Confederacy would be a very weak country, very much dependent on the
British appetite for "CSA" cotton. The remaining USA would be weakened
too, to the benefit of Britain). Britain was involved in a number of
disputed actions during the war (running blockades, making warships,
etc.), each of which "just happened" to favor the Confederacy. US
diplomacy throughout the early part of the war was aimed at heading off
official British recognition of the CSA, which the British gov't was
ever alert for an opportunity to offer. The Emancipation Proclamation
served, among other things, to take that option off the table for the
duration.

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green