Chris Green writes:
>"Sided with" was indeed too strong. It is true that Britain was
officially
>neutral, but they were, shall we say, sympathetic to the South
>(entirely on grounds of self-interest -- an independent Confederacy
>would be a very weak country, very much dependent on the British
>appetite for "CSA" cotton. The remaining USA would be weakened
>too, to the benefit of Britain). Britain was involved in a number of
>disputed actions during the war (running blockades, making warships,
> etc.), each of which "just happened" to favor the Confederacy.[…]

This, I gather, is in line with received American views on the British
position on the American Civil war. But is it accurate? In *Great
Britain and the American Civil War* (2006) (cited in my previous post)
Ephraim Douglas Adams quotes the British historian, George Grote
writing: 'The perfect neutrality of [Great Britain] in this destructive
war appears to me almost a phenomenon in political history'."

Adams goes on to say that this is not the view prevalent in America,
and that the question his book sets out to answer is "Did Great Britain
in spite of her long years of championship of personal freedom and of
leadership in the cause of anti-slavery seize upon the disruption
offered in the destruction of the American Union… [and] react only to
selfish motives of commercial advantage and national power?" (p. 18)
His conclusion from a detailed analysis of the historical evidence is
very different from Chris's.

Chris mentions "making warships", something I already dealt with in my
not support Chris's interpretation of British Government support for
the South. It is certainly not the case that Britain (by which I
presume he means the British government) was "sympathetic to the South"
– as I already pointed out, the notion that British policy was largely
predicated on commercial self-interest (Chris: "the British appetite
for 'CSA' cotton") is simplistic and does not tally with close
examination of the policies and motivations of the British government
as discussed in great detail in Adams's book.

Chris write of Britain's "running blockades". On the contrary, Britain
accepted the Northern blockade of the South, and any British ships that
ran the blockade were not sanctioned, either officially or
unofficially, by the British government.

So let's look at the historical information in Adams's book in the
light of Chris's contentions.

Did Britain wish for the success of the South in the Civil War?

"In the months preceding the outbreak of the Civil War all British
governmental effort was directed toward keeping clear of the quarrel
and toward conciliation of the two sections… as the war dragged on, the
ministry, pressed from various angles at home, ventured, with much
uncertainty, upon a movement looking toward conciliation." (p. 605)

Did the British Government "run" the blockade of the South (or
unofficially sanction such running of the blockade)?

Adams writes, first quoting Lord Russell [British Prime Minister]:
"'His Majesty's Government are of the opinion, assuming the blockade is
duly notified [etc, etc,], …the fact that various ships may have
successfully escaped through it will not of itself prevent the blockade
 from being an effective one in international law.'  From this view
Russell never departed in official instructions. England's position as
the leading Maritime power made it inevitable that she should
immediately approve the American blockade effort and be cautious in
criticizing its legitimate operation. Both her own history, and
probable future interests, required such a policy far more important in
the eyes of  statesmen than any temporary injury to British commerce."
(p. 273)

(That doesn't mean that English merchants would not (and did not)
attempt to break the blockade, but it was not the policy of the British
government that they should do so.)

In February 1862, Adams writes, Prime Minister Russell "gave challenge
to pro-Southern sentiment by asserting the effectiveness of the
blockade, a challenge almost immediately made known to Parliament by
the presentation of papers." In response to a motion in Parliament by
sympathisers of the South who argued that the blockade was ineffective,
a supporter of Government policy, W.E. Forster, "showed that nearly all
the alleged blockade runners were in reality small coasting steamers,
which, by use of shallow inner channels, could creep along the shore
and then make a dash for the West Indies… To raise the blockade, he
argued, would be a direct violation by Britain of her neutrality." (p.
278)

Adams later raises an issue he says is "vital" to British home
politics, "one the ran like a constant thread through the whole pattern
of British attitude toward America.. This was the question of the
future of democracy. Was its fate bound up with the future of [the
Civil War]? And if so where lay British interest?" (p. 607)

This aspect of British policy and public concerns is so important that
Adams devotes his last chapter to it. Even in the truncated form on
Google Books it is worth looking through as it illustrates again that
to view British government policy through the lens of commercial
interests does not do justice to the complexity of the actual issues
that contributed to the making of British official policy towards the
American Civil War.

On the "cotton" issue on which Chris sets so much store:

Maldwyn Jones (*The Limits of Liberty: American History 1607-1992*)
writes: "Thanks to heavy imports in the previous two years British
manufacturers held large stocks of cotton when the war broke out;
shortages of raw material did not become acute until 1863, by which
time alternative supplies were beginning to arrive from India and
Egypt." (p. 231) Similarly Adams: "There was no immediate shortage of
supply [of cotton] when war came in America, rather an unusual
accumulation of raw stocks…" (p. 333)

France break the blockade, Adams writes that Lord Lyons, the British
Minister to the United States, "acknowledged the general pressure for
cotton, but thought there was no need of great alarm as yet and also
advanced the idea that in the end Europe would benefit by being forced
to develop other sources of supply, thus being freed from such
exclusive dependence on the United States." (p. 204)

Maldwyn Jones again: "At the outset the South confidently expected that
Great Britain in particular would be forced by her dependence on
Southern cotton to intervene and break the blockade… But Southern faith
in King Cotton was misplaced… […] Economic factors do not, however,
explain why in the end neither Great Britain nor France was prepared to
intervene [and break the Northern blockade]" (p. 231)

Here is an account showing that the Confederacy's two attempts to
persuade the British Government to depart from its policy of neutrality
were failures:
http://tinyurl.com/355wlp2

And more generally: "…All kinds of journals [in Britain] expressed
differing views, regardless of their size and circulation. But the
general sentiment backed a British neutrality that in reality favored
the North." (In Robert L. Beisner, *American Foreign Relations Since
1600: A Guide to the Literature.Vol. 1*, p. 393 note 8: 397)
http://tinyurl.com/

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

---------------------------------------

Re: [tips] Canada's early intolerance
Christopher D. Green
Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:03:01 -0800
Allen Esterson wrote:
> Chris Green writes:
>
>> Indeed, if you recall your American history class, you
>> may remember that as long as the Civil War was officially
>> about "union," the British sided with the South (for the cotton)
>>

> That you may recall this doesn't make it true. Britain was neutral
> throughout the Civil War, and certainly didn't "side with the South"
> during any part of it.

"Sided with" was indeed too strong. It is true that Britain was
officially neutral, but they were, shall we say, sympathetic to the
South (entirely on grounds of self-interest -- an independent
Confederacy would be a very weak country, very much dependent on the
British appetite for "CSA" cotton. The remaining USA would be weakened
too, to the benefit of Britain). Britain was involved in a number of
disputed actions during the war (running blockades, making warships,
etc.), each of which "just happened" to favor the Confederacy. US
diplomacy throughout the early part of the war was aimed at heading off
official British recognition of the CSA, which the British gov't was
ever alert for an opportunity to offer. The Emancipation Proclamation
served, among other things, to take that option off the table for the
duration.

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green