On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 07:35:53 -0800, Michael Smith allegedly wrote:
>But the most hillarious one is from one critics response that Allen
>presents that includes:
>"The evidence presented in the book is mostly a series of scatter diagrams,
>with a regression line drawn through them."
>
>This is hillarious !!!
>The reason being, of course, is that the statement is a good
>description of all the results in sociology.
>
>I'm still laughing at that one.

As someone who is familiar with the research methods literature in sociology,
I am puzzled about (a) why you are laughing (outside of your being prone
to laugh at things for no apparent reason) and (b) why you think regression
lines and scatterplots describe all of the results in sociology.

Hubert Blalock, a quantitative sociologist, is just one sociologist
who has used sophisticated statistical analysis in sociological research
in addition to writing/editing influential textbooks in statistical
analysis for sociologists.  Consider:

His 1985 "Causal Models in the Social Sciences"; on books.google.com:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Qvpa5n1OhRYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=blalock+%22causal+models+in+the+social+sciences%22&source=bl&ots=3b6T8vfz7C&sig=zZCkVBwPvQLBAwRgd9UBdKZHIh8&hl=en&ei=1D8KTfrVAoiosAPvsKGLCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
or
http://tinyurl.com/blalock1985
Note: this books continues to be used and is available on Amazon as
are other books by Blalock. I would also suggest looking at his 2007
book "Causal Models in Experimental designs"; see:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Mawj7EyctSAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=blalock+%22causal+models+in+the+social+sciences%22&source=bl&ots=kMikWSiPJe&sig=pGDiycgAMpF1yQPPLyLuf5dkd-M&hl=en&ei=1D8KTfrVAoiosAPvsKGLCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CDUQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=blalock%20%22causal%20models%20in%20the%20social%20sciences%22&f=false
or
http://tinyurl.com/blalock2007

Examination of the serial "Sociological Methods & Research" (SMR) will
show that many different types of sophisticated forms of analyses are used
and promoted by well-known experts in their field like Kenneth Bollen.
SMR is published by Sage and the current issue (in volume #39) is
available here:
http://smr.sagepub.com/content/current

There is also the "Journal of Mathematical Sociology"; see:
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/GMAS

For some background on mathematical sociology, there is a Wikipedia entry
(yadda-yadda) that provides some history and background; see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_sociology

So, what's the basis for the claim that sociologists only use scatterplots
and regression in their research?  That's claim is almost as hilarious as
saying that all psychologists are clinicians.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=7252
or send a blank email to
leave-7252-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu