Hi

Although some people, probably further down the "food chain",
undoubtedly "believe" that Obama was not born in the USA, it appears
equally likely that many of the proponents of this view probably do not
"believe" it (i.e., think it is true).  What they believe is that
promoting this false view will further their political agenda.

A recent example from Higher Education (perhaps mentioned on TIPs)
illustrates the same point.  Excerpts from lectures were used by a
conservative to promote the view that professors were advocating
violence as a form of revolt.  But the excerpts were in fact the
professors making statements about what others had said (e.g., in a
video the class had viewed) but with the context removed.  It appears
unlikely that the people who did this did not realize they were
misrepresenting what happened in the classroom (pardon the double /
triple negative).  More likely, they did not care about the reality, but
wanted to further their political agenda.

Both liberals and conservatives are capable of such actions, although
it would be interesting to see what an objective assessment of the
frequency of such acts reveals about the two sides.  It would also be
interesting to see how people who view themselves as the "moral
majority" or the "rational minority" rationalize such acts.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor of Psychology
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

On 30 April 2011 Mike Palij wrote:
>As teachers, researchers, and psychologists, we need to focus on
>the use of facts, valid modes of argumentation, and critical analysis
>even if powerful forces in society avoid their use.

>http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/29/dont-stop-believing/?nl=

todaysheadlines&emc=thab1

Mike had in mind particularly the absurd "birthers" movement, which
exhibits a specific American right-wing mind-set deriving from dubious

political and no doubt underlying racists notions. As I expect Mike
would agree (and the responses to Obama's displaying his passport bear

this out), most of the people strongly endorsing such views are immune

to what Mike refers to as "valid modes of argument" in relation to
their belief, but one would hope that challenging the belief with
documentable facts will have an effect on the wider public previously
willing to give credence to the story. Have their been any polls to see

if Obama's rebuttal has had much effect?

More generally, the problem as I see it with the "valid modes of
argument" notion is that (e.g., in the case of conspiracy or similar
theories) the proponents frequently *are* using rational modes of
argument * within the context of what they take to be the facts of the

matter. And if some of the basic alleged facts are rebutted, proponents

come up with rational modes of argument to explain why the rebuttals
are invalid. Other than by spelling out the ascertainable facts for the

benefit of those willing to seriously examine the issue, while being
honest about areas where there is genuine uncertainty, I'm not
optimistic about the extent that widely-believed dubious contentions
can be countered.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org ( http://www.esterson.org/ )

For those who are concerned with how critical thinking (or the lack of

it)
affects society, an opinion piece in the NY Times on why birtherism
and
its offshoots won't die; see:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/29/dont-stop-believing/?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=thab1

As teachers, researchers, and psychologists, we need to focus on the
use
of facts, valid modes of argumentation, and critical analysis even if
powerful
forces in society avoid their use.

You are currently subscribed to tips as: j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca.
To unsubscribe click here: