Jim Clark wrote:

>Both liberals and conservatives are capable of such actions,

It's been a long time since I've subscribed to TIPS. But I kinda' missed
everyone here, so I decided recently to re-subscribe.

Jim Clark's claim quoted above is what one would expect based on the ubiquity
of the confirmation bias, and I think that good examples for teaching purposes
can easily be found in the current U.S. political situation. I have used
several such examples in my intro-psych classes.

Of course, disconfirming information CAN be important; otherwise none of
us would ever alter our beliefs. And some circumstances may reduce the strength
of the bias. For example, the research article cited below might be a good
example of it (I haven't read it yet, so I can't vouch for it).

Best,
Jeff

==============

Communication Research, 2011
Online at: http://crx.sagepub.com/content/early/recent

Preelection Selective Exposure: Confirmation Bias Versus Informational Utility

Silvia Knobloch-Westerwick knobloch-westerwic...@osu.edu
Ohio State University

Steven B. Kleinman
Ohio State University

Abstract

The glut of media coverage prior to a presidential election requires individuals
to selectively expose themselves to some messages and not others. The study
involves a two-session online quasi-experiment with 205 participants that
was conducted before the 2008 presidential election. Hypotheses on confirmation
bias and information utility driving selective exposure prior to an election
are tested. Results confirm that information utility can override a confirmation
bias and motivate exposure if a government change is likely and the favored
party is likely to lose the election. Moreover, participants with frequent
habitual online news use do not exhibit a confirmation bias. However,
participants
whose favored party was likely to win the election and participants with
infrequent online news consumption show a significant confirmation bias.
Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
SCC: Professor of Psychology
MCCCD: General Studies Faculty Representative
Scottsdale Community College
9000 E. Chaparral Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85256-2626
Office: SB-123