From: "Mike Palij" <m...@nyu.edu>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)"
<tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Cc: "Michael Palij" <m...@nyu.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 9:58:48 AM
Subject: Re: [tips] Pavlov and bells

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 06:21:08 -0700, John Kulig wrote:
>I have the Dover edition of Conditioned Reflexes in English (Anrep,
>translator) and I don't recall bells, but there are buzzers, metronomes,
>light flashes and tactile stimuli. The Russian word for bell .. well, hard
>to do on keyboard... " 'E'BOHOK" but my 'E' is that iconic "backwards E"
>which is not an E in Russian, and the B and H are pronounced more
>like English "V" and "N" . someone must have access to the original ...
May I suggest that for those who are interested, go to the
Google translate page and enter "bell" on the left side and ask
for a Russian translation; see:
https://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=TT&authuser=0#en/ru/bell
One will see various Russian words in Cyrillic that will be more or
less close translations of the English word "bell". I believe that the
word the John is referring to above is звонок and it listed second.
I would make good sense to ask a Russian with knowledge of
Pavlov's writings to provide appropriate translations and interpretations.
As for whether a "bell" is different from a "buzzer", I'm not sure what
the point it is. It's like asking what is the difference between a "d*ck"
and an "@sshole". But some people might be interested is such things.

You are currently subscribed to tips as: ku...@mail.plymouth.edu .

To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13338.f659d005276678c0696b7f6beda66454&n=T&l=tips&o=28154