My eyesight was never very good at night, and it's gotten worse--especially
after I had cataract surgery. I think about things like sensation and
perception when I'm driving at night and how the principle of pragnanz
applies especially in the dark. Then I think about the epic fails that have
happened when I was driving. For example, the time I was trying to read the
wording on a bridge I thought I was going to go under and realized it said
"Roadway" and was on the back of a semi. I managed to read that one in
time. Another time I was navigating a dark county road in Missouri and
using roadside reflectors to aim my car. Suddenly I realized that the two
reflectors in the distance that I had been using to center myself were
actually two dusty taillights on a stopped pickup truck right in front of
me. That realization came a bit too late; and though I totaled my
daughter's brand new car, nobody was hurt. I tend to not drive at night now
unless I really have to, and the waning light of winter makes that a
necessity. I'm glad the sun will be getting stronger. I can't handle too
much more top-down processing. :)

cd

--
Carol DeVolder, Ph.D.