Hi Rene,

From: TLS <tls-boun...@ietf.org<mailto:tls-boun...@ietf.org>> on behalf of Rene
Struik <rstruik....@gmail.com<mailto:rstruik....@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, February 10, 2017 at 10:51 AM
To: Sean Turner <s...@sn3rd.com<mailto:s...@sn3rd.com>>,
"<tls@ietf.org<mailto:tls@ietf.org>>" <tls@ietf.org<mailto:tls@ietf.org>>
Cc: IRTF CFRG <c...@irtf.org<mailto:c...@irtf.org>>
Subject: Re: [TLS] [Cfrg] Closing out tls1.3 "Limits on key usage" PRs
(#765/#769)

Dear colleagues:

I would suggest adding the following paragraph at the end of Section 5.5:

[current text of Section 5.5]

There are cryptographic limits on the amount of plaintext which can be safely
encrypted under a given set of keys.
[AEAD-LIMITS]<https://tlswg.github.io/tls13-spec/#AEAD-LIMITS> provides an
analysis of these limits under the assumption that the underlying primitive
(AES or ChaCha20) has no weaknesses. Implementations SHOULD do a key update
Section 4.6.3<https://tlswg.github.io/tls13-spec/#key-update> prior to reaching
these limits.

For AES-GCM, up to 2^24.5 full-size records (about 24 million) may be encrypted
on a given connection while keeping a safety margin of approximately 2^-57 for
Authenticated Encryption (AE) security. For ChaCha20/Poly1305, the record
sequence number would wrap before the safety limit is reached.

[suggested additional text]

The above upper limits do not take into account potential side channel attacks,
which - in some implementations - have been shown to be successful at
recovering keying material with a relatively small number of messages encrypted
using the same key. While results are highly implementation-specific, thereby
making it hard to provide precise guidance, prudence suggests that
implementations should not reuse keys ad infinitum. Implementations SHALL
therefore always implement the key update mechanism of Section 4.6.3.

{editorial note: perhaps, one should impose the limit 2^20, just to make sure
people do not "forget" to implement key updates?}

How do you do side channel attacks on TLS ? Do these side-channel attacks work
for AES-GCM only in TLS 1.3 ?

See also my email of August 29, 2016:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/cfrg/SUuLDg0wTvjR7H46oNyEtyGVdno