On 15 Jul 2017, at 18:23, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

Whether it justifies a loss of security is a separate question.

It isn't a loss of security - it's actually a net gain for security. Network visibility, independent of any end-host, is a key requirement for network security.

As to the specific regulations, folks from the appropriate verticals will need to speak up. I know vaguely that there are regulations in the financial sector and the defense contracting sector which apply, but can't cite chapter and verse.

I'm sure someone on the list can, however.