On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 12:11 PM, Adam Caudill <a...@adamcaudill.com> wrote:

> Those advocating for some standardized method of subverting the security
> properties of TLS have been offered numerous options in good faith, and
> continue to reject them all. I’m aware of extremely large enterprises that
> in fact require TLS 1.2 with PFS, as they made the investment in addressing
> this issue early on, and do so effectively. This can be solved without
> changes to the protocol or a standardized “backdoor” - and is being done
> today by at least some enterprises.

Having worked (and presently working) for more than one company of this
nature, in the payments business no less, I would like to restate that it's
incredibly disingenuous to cite the need for self-MitM capability as an
"industry" concern.

I think if it were possible to ask for a hum "from industry", you'd find
the field divided between those who have invested in a real observability
story, and those who think passive network traffic collection is the only
way to debug their systems. I think if you were to even take a straw poll
of the best approaches monitoring/observability among actual industry
practitioners, passive network traffic collection would rank close to the
bottom of the list.

I would go as far as to say that if you are among those requesting this
misfeature, you are doing a terrible job securing your infrastructure, and
should look into modern observability techniques as an alternative to
debugging by concentrating network traffic dumps into a single point of
compromise which represents a huge security liability. Yes, switching to a
new approach to observability is a huge investment that will take time, but
so is upgrading to a new version of TLS.

The "industry" reality is that many companies do not need a self-MitM
misfeature and could be actively harmed by it, and while a self-MitM
capability may be standard operating practice for some, it is not true for
all, and identifying those who want the self-MitM capability as "industry"
is a composition fallacy being leveraged as a rhetorical tactic, i.e. "IETF
is not listening to the concerns of industry".

As a member of "industry" myself, I implore the IETF: please don't make the
rest of us less secure at the request of those who are running insecure
infrastructures and apparently intend on keeping things that way.