* Nancy Cam-Winget:

> @IETF99, awareness was raised to some of the security WGs (thanks
> Kathleen ☺) that TLS 1.3 will obscure visibility currently afforded in
> TLS 1.2 and asked what the implications would be for the security
> solutions today.
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-camwinget-tls-use-cases-00 is an
> initial draft to describe some of the impacts relating to current
> network security solutions.  The goal of the draft is NOT to propose
> any solution as a few have been proposed, but rather to raise
> awareness to how current network-based security solutions work today
> and their impact on them based on the current TLS 1.3 specification.

I'm not sure if this approach is useful, I'm afraid.  The draft is
basically a collection of man-in-the-middle attacks many people would
consider benign.  It's unclear where the line is drawn: traffic
optimization/compression and ad suppression/replacement aren't
mentioned, for example, and I would expect both to be rather low on
the scale of offensiveness.

What the draft is essentially arguing is that many user cannot afford
end-to-end encryption for various reasons, some legal, some technical,
some political.  But it seems to me that this is currently not a
viewpoint shared by the IETF.