On 11/5/17 10:31 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Nancy Cam-Winget:

@IETF99, awareness was raised to some of the security WGs (thanks
Kathleen ☺) that TLS 1.3 will obscure visibility currently afforded in
TLS 1.2 and asked what the implications would be for the security
solutions today.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-camwinget-tls-use-cases-00 is an
initial draft to describe some of the impacts relating to current
network security solutions.  The goal of the draft is NOT to propose
any solution as a few have been proposed, but rather to raise
awareness to how current network-based security solutions work today
and their impact on them based on the current TLS 1.3 specification.
I'm not sure if this approach is useful, I'm afraid.  The draft is
basically a collection of man-in-the-middle attacks many people would
consider benign.  It's unclear where the line is drawn: traffic
optimization/compression and ad suppression/replacement aren't
mentioned, for example, and I would expect both to be rather low on
the scale of offensiveness.
We didn't draw any particular line, but the use case scenarios that we tried to highlight are those related to overall security and regulatory requirements (including public sector) where a network-based solution currently exists, and (we believe) is not easily replaced. A number of these are routinely encountered in present-day enterprise, cloud and public sector, and we believe they will continue to be relevant. On top of that, we have a rapidly expanding base of IoT endpoints with limited capabilities, which presents a whole new and highly vulnerable attack surface.

What the draft is essentially arguing is that many user cannot afford
end-to-end encryption for various reasons, some legal, some technical,
some political.  But it seems to me that this is currently not a
viewpoint shared by the IETF.
That is our read of the current situation as well, however the concern is that by focusing solely on privacy and e2e security, there are additional important considerations that are being ignored. Our intent with the draft is to illustrate some of those and see if we can get to some consensus around the need to address those (and/or possibly others).

Thanks

-- Flemming