On 5/20/2019 3:41 PM, Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL wrote:

I reviewed this draft (“browsed through” would be a more honest statement). I didn’t spot an obvious problem with it.

One question that I have after reading it: I understand why one wants to implement this extension, but I don’t see how the two endpoints would arrive at that external PSK.

Sadly - we're back to the 1980's in terms of key management. The obvious answers are a) they meet to exchange keys, b) they're given a key through a KDC, c) they get them in the mail. (and I'm really not kidding about (c))

Mike

*From: *TLS <tls-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Russ Housley <hous...@vigilsec.com>
*Date: *Monday, May 20, 2019 at 3:21 PM
*To: *Joe Salowey <j...@salowey.net>
*Cc: *IETF TLS <tls@ietf.org>
*Subject: *Re: [TLS] WGLC for draft-ietf-tls-tls13-cert-with-extern-psk

TLS 1.3 Extension for Certificate-based Authentication with an External PSK ensures the US Government has a quantum-resistant option for TLS in the interim years until post-quantum algorithms emerge from the NIST process. For this reason, there is an intent to specify this extension in future procurements.

Russ

    On May 15, 2019, at 9:20 AM, Joseph Salowey <j...@salowey.net