Unfortunately the 'set-option set-clipboard on' option doesn't seem to have
an effect under Cygwin/mintty - I'd be curious to know whether that can be
made to work somehow?

Shift-select will go to the Windows clipboard.

Unfortunately that limits you to selecting what you see on the current
screen (i.e. not the copy-mode scrollback), and if you have windows split
horizontally it will select across all of them, which isn't always
desirable.  In that case you can use Shift-Alt-select to do a vertical or
"box" selection.

I use tmux under Cygwin mintty, but I run it on a remote host, so I had to
set up an exotic solution using 'xclip' on the remote host to send my tmux
clipboard back to an Xming or MobaXterm server running on my Windows
client, inspired by some of those confusing answers on stackoverflow...

Hope that helps.

Scott