Hi,

> Solution: Dan Milstein is adding my patch to mod_jk. It forces an instance
> of Tomcat in the load balance list to reject new connections, but continue
> to service existing sessions. (by setting worker.name.active=0, and
> restarting my apaches)

Question: can this be done _without_ restarting apache ?

I was thinking about the whole "configuration/reconfiguration/signales" mechanism,
and IMHO there is a simpler solution: instead of using signals and AJP13
extensions, it may be better to just use plain HTTP and normal
servlets/apache handlers.

Creating a simple /jk_admin is not difficult ( a simple handler that will
accept an authenticated HTTP request and alter the configuration ). That
will allow run-time addition of apps and workers without restarting
apache.

For tomcat side, few extra servlets on the admin app will be much easier
and safer to develop than changing the protocols or other internals ( and
will probably be more re-usable ).

In general, using common servlets / handlers is much easier, will allow
more people to contribute and can be done independently ( without change
in the main distribution, so without too much to worry about tomcat
release cycle or featurism ).

( For apache/server side - while changing mod_jk and adding /jk_admin
inside it may look simple, we can also create a new module and then use it
to manage jk - this will keep the mod_jk code simple ).

Costin

P.S. I'm working on the bug reported by Larry ( encoding ) - I want to
resolve it in a good way, but as I read more the hardest it becomes. If
anyone has any experience with encoding/charsets/non-ascii URLs/ JIS
/localization - I need help on this one.

It seems that it is perfectly reasonable for a japanese/etc user to
type his name in a form, and the URL will be generated with SJIS-encoded
chars ( GET case ). I found some pages on the internet - but most of them
are discussing the problem, and it seems nobody knows any good solution.

( the original problem - keeping the escaped URL and using it for the
methods that return escaped paths - is simple. The main problem is what to
do when un-escaped paths are needed and when serving files with non-ASCII
chars in the name - and even more, how to do that in a way that is
consistent with Apache,IIS,NES,AOL behavior. I found an interesting
reference at http://www.arsdigita.com/asj/multilingual, and few RFCs, but
it's still far from what I need )