Without getting into the larger issue, one problem
that jumped out at me from your article is (at least
in your examples) the MLS precompile looks at the
expression inside the digraphs and replaces line
terminations in the *.j source with linefeed
characters ('\n').  That presumes the line termination
character of choice for the output is a linefeed
character.  It may be a '\n' is fine for most cases,
but the truth is that it depends on the platform upon
which the output is to be used.  In generall, it is
always best to use the line.separator property instead
or use a PrintWriter's println() method to insert the
correct line termination.

Another issue is that the example creates catenated
String literals.  I would hope that the actual code
produced would use appropriately initialized
StringBuffers or performance could be a problem.

Just some thoughts on the implementation.  On the
larger issue of this thread, I don't really see the
benefit of something like MLS over JSP, which
potentially allows you to completely remove all Java
code from the html (by using jsp tags and taglibs),
but take that as an imho.

Dr. Mel Martinez
Software Architect
G1440, Inc.