Mel Martinez wrote:

> Without getting into the larger issue, one problem
> that jumped out at me from your article is (at least
> in your examples) the MLS precompile looks at the
> expression inside the digraphs and replaces line
> terminations in the *.j source with linefeed
> characters ('\n').  That presumes the line termination
> character of choice for the output is a linefeed
> character.  It may be a '\n' is fine for most cases,
> but the truth is that it depends on the platform upon
> which the output is to be used.  In generall, it is
> always best to use the line.separator property instead
> or use a PrintWriter's println() method to insert the
> correct line termination.
>
> Another issue is that the example creates catenated
> String literals.  I would hope that the actual code
> produced would use appropriately initialized
> StringBuffers or performance could be a problem.

        Just thought that I would point out that:
"My " + "dog " + "has " + "fleas." will be compiled as one String:
"My dog has fleas." and incurs no runtime penalties.  In the case
of literals it can be more efficient than StringBuffer as long as
they are grouped together as above.  Since I haven't looked at the
code directly, I don't know how or if this affects your point.

        -Paul Speed