Glenn,

Speaking of which: Yes, we need a place where the various templating and tagging
approaches that somehow involve Java can be discussed. A thread like this thread needs
a logical place for it to take
place and right now there doesn't seem to be one as each list or Usenet group seems
too specific to particular approaches..

Well, it just so happens that over in comp.lang.java.programmer we've just had a
couple of long discussions about the need to add some new Usenet comp.lang.java.*
groups. If anyone here has a good
idea for a group name or two that would relate Java to the various template and tag
languages for developing HTML pages that have active content I'd like to hear about
them. Our discussion has moved to
private e-mail involving sime regular heavy posters on comp.lang.java.* groups and we
are hashing out exactly what is going to be voted on.

I'd like a place that is a logical place for the users of various competing
technologies in this area (JSP, WebMacro, Velocity/Turbine, Cocoon, FreeMarker, etc)
to talk about the sorts of things this thread
just discussed.

We are working on some formal proposal write-usp for some new Usenet groups. But one
of the proposed group names is comp.lang.java.servlet+jsp and that just seems too
narrow and with the wrong
emphasis.

Among the alternatives we've kicked around:
   comp.lang.java.html+template
   comp.lang.java.template+tag
   comp.lang.java.servlet+template
   comp.lang.java.template-tech
   comp.lang.java.web-tech

Again, any suggestions welcome either here or in private e-mail.