on 8/28/01 9:08 PM, Rob S. at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> I've seen lots of discussion on the user list desiring the
>> ability to have
>>> additional classpaths available to web applications, but not necessarily
>>> available to all web apps.
>
> ...mainly because people don't take the time to understand the class loading
> mechanism, and ask for things they wouldn't otherwise, if they knew what was
> going on =)  This happens a lot of times when people are learning new
> technology.

So, it seems that you're saying that I don't understand the class loading
mechanism. Aside from the discussion about why that doesn't obviate the need
for a way to extend the class path in the configuration files (be it
Server.xml, web.xml, or in the war manifest), can you tell me if there is a
solution here?

I would like to be able to have a webapp find necessary classes in an
arbitrary directory, specified as a property. If you can tell me what class
I can invoke to perform this, then perhaps that would be enough. However, I
still feel that the original request is valid.

Roderick Mann               rmann @ latencyzero.com.sansspam