"Rob S." wrote:

> > 2) Add those search paths myself, in my webapp's code. Keep in
> > mind that, as
> > Rob S. speculated, I know very little about the ClassLoader mechanism.
>
> When I wrote the email, I wasn't implying that whatsoever, but I can see
> quite clearly now how it could be taken.  Apologies for that implication...
>
> Ok, let me get this straight now.  You're saying, "i want to point a web app
> to a location to load jars and classes from."  That already exists.  You put
> the jars in the WEB-INF/classes and lib directory.
>
> Then the next thing is, "i want them to be visible to more than one web
> app."  That already exists too.  You put them in $CATALINE_HOME/common/lib
> and classes.
>
> What do you want that Tomcat isn't already giving you? =)
>
> - r

If I understand him correctly, I think what he wants is a way to make
certain shared jars/classes available to multiple webapps, but not
necessaryily all of the webapps ... and without making multiple copies
of the jars/classes. I can kinda understand where he's coming from if it
is a deployment concern, since updating a jar would involve copying it
around to numerous WEB-INF/lib directories. IMHO it's not a huge hassle,
but I also remember, when I first started with Tomcat, thinking that it
was a slightly less-than-clean way to handle that scenerio, and that
there was probably a relatively clean way to do it better.

Now, a) I have a sneaking suspicion that _my_ proposed solution is
somehow going to fly in the face of the spec, b) I am not happy with any
of the other various solutions that I have seen, c) I have long since
come to terms with having multiple copies of my jars where I need shared
but not "webapp global" ones. In other words, this is not really my
"cause celebre". I just thought I'd float an alternative that I could
live with, since I hadn't seen one yet. But since it doesn't really
appeal to Rick anyway, and it's of no consequence to me either way, I'm
going to go back to my SSL docs now :)

Much love, Rob Lobster ;-)

- Christopher

/**
 * Pleurez, pleurez, mes yeux, et fondez vous en eau!
 * La moitié de ma vie a mis l'autre au tombeau.
 *    ---Cornelle
 */