> Remy,
>
> >Only the core objects have interfaces. Embedded is a helper object, so
it's
> >not an interface. Just like Catalina is not an interface.
> >By the way, I don't see how having an interface makes it easier to work
with
> >Catalina. The only useful thing with interfaces is if you want to extend
or
> >reimplement something, because of Java's lack of multiple inheritance.
> >
> Not true.  If you want to *secure* your impl from other code.  You could
> use three schemes:

If our helper object for embedding doesn't fit your needs, I suggest you
write your own instead. It doesn't take long, and it will do what you want
(including having an interface, so it fits into your virtual OS dream).
There are real world users of the current Embedded class (including JBoss
and the J2EE RI), and none of them would see any benefit about having an
interface instead of object. Since I'd like to avoid unseless changes for
the users and also keep the design simpler if I can, I will NOT change the
current Embedded object to do what you propose, and I vote -1 to the
associated patch.

Remy