GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> >> What about adding this part in tomcat.sh (TC 3.3) and
> >> catalina.sh/jasper.sh to help them discover JAVA_HOME on
> >> at least Linux systems ?
> >
> > If someone forgets to set JAVA_HOME and has multiple JDK's
> >installed, they could get a suprise.
>
> That's why you could still tune the JAVA_HOME is tomcat_cfg
> which is read at start of script (not shown here).

 You're presumably trying to reduce configuration problems
for beginners, but trying to find JAVA_HOME automatically
is likely to increase overall confusion.

 Current situation: beginner (or forgetful expert) doesn't
have JAVA_HOME set, trys to start catalina, gets an error
message, sets JAVA_HOME, everything is fine.

 New situation: beginner (or forgetful expert) doesn't
have JAVA_HOME set, trys to start catalina, and catalina
starts. Either:

  1) You got lucky, the script found the right JDK,
  the code runs for the moment, and the user thinks
  everything is ok. Until they install another JDK and
  suddenly catalina stops working. The user is confused.

  2) You don't get lucky, the script finds and silently
  runs with the wrong JDK, and the user is confused.

 As I said, I ran into this problem with a ./configure
script that was too smart for its own good. It caused
more problems than it fixed.

--
Christopher St. John [EMAIL PROTECTED]
DistribuTopia http://www.distributopia.com