On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Aaron Smuts wrote:

> What I'd like would be a Jakarta version of something small and simple like
> the oldest available Jetty version.

You can probably use tomcat3.3:
- it's small - about 1M ( excluding the parser, 800k if you don't include
the jasper compiler - you'll still support precompiled jsps ). You can
probably cut more if you remove unused modules.
- it's fast - IMHO it's one of the fastest servlet containers around
- it's simple - as simple as we were able to make it ( but no
 simpler :-). Almost anything can be replaced, including the servlet
implementation ( facade ), loaders, loggers, connectors.

In addition it'll run with almost any VM ( including GCJ/native, kaffe,
with some changes J2ME ) and it's reasonably easy to embed it.
It doesn't have features - except serving servlets as fast as it can.
If you want features - probably you need something else.