On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:56:40 -0700
> From: Jon Scott Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: tomcat-dev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Missed vote
>
> Arg. I missed the vote where the Servlet API and JSP classes were going to
> be stored in the same repo. Is there any way that I can -1 that after the
> fact?
>
> Several of us have worked hard over the years to completely separate the
> Servlet API from the JSP API for various valid reasons (including the fact
> that some of us don't like JSP).
>
> This fight came to an end when Sun decided to create separation of the two
> API's by having separate JSR's. Now, it seems that we are moving backwards
> again by having the two API's stored in the same repo and now that I found
> out that that has happened, I would love to try to stop it from going any
> further.
>
> What can we do here?

What's so painful about a ten-line build.xml target that creates a
separate JAR file with just the javax.servlet and javax.servlet.http API
classes, if that's what you need?

Sharing a CVS repository has little or nothing to do with how many
distributable outputs you create.  On the other hand, having both servlet
and JSP APIs in a single JAR file is quite useful to a very large number
of existing Tomcat (and other container) users, so it should be available
also.

> -jon

Craig