Hans Bergsten wrote:

> evaluation all in one place. To make things even easier, these tag
> handlers can _not_ be reused at all. Benchmarks with modern JVMs show
> that the gain from reuse is not worth all the trouble. So, for new
> tags we recommend using the SimpleTag API which takes care of the
> problem by forbidding reuse.

Wow. I would be _very_ curious to see those benchmarks and the "modern"
JVM that was used.

All my tests ( including JDK1.4, IBM vms, GCJ ) show that reusing is well
worth the trouble - at least if you have 100s of requests per second
( it is not worht the trouble for very low loads ). But I'm happy to
hear that I'm wrong.