Hans Bergsten wrote:

>              Without pooling  With pooling  Reuse w/o overhead
> 5 threads
>    Avg.:              330 ms        349 ms                 N/A
>    Rate:            15.2/sec      13.6/sec                 N/A
>
> 20 threads
>    Avg.:            1,752 ms      1,446 ms            1,265 ms
>    Rate:            12.1/sec      13.6/sec            14.7/sec
>
> To me, this indicates that if you can avoid _all_ reuse overhead,
> there's some performace to be gained from reuse but not much. With the

>From 1.2s to 1.7s there is about 35% difference. I would call this
quite significant. Even between 1.4 and 1.7 - you have 20%. Try to
increase the thread count to 100 - and you'll see this going up.

The difference ( 0.5s ) is probably 2-3 times the response time of
apache for a static page. And most users will feel it.

> current implementation, however, the overhead seems to kill all gains
> from creating fewer instances. I doubt increasing MAX_POOL_SIZE makes
> much of a difference.

Increasing it from the current 5 - it would make a difference.
I agree - the "ideal" no overhead is harder to achieve, but I think the
thread-local,no-sync case is close enough.

I'll try to reproduce the test. BTW, how many requests did you make, and
what was the max response time ( max is very affected by GC ) ? I usually do
5000 to warm up and 10.000 to run the test.

This is a very good start, thanks for bringing this up.