Hans Bergsten wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>> [...]
>> In an ideal world, all "core" tags would be recyclable and garbage-free -
>> that may allow them to run at comparable speed with a hard-coded page.
>
> I think it's more important to implement "open coding" of JSTL, i.e.
> generate if and for statement instead of using <c:if> and <c:forEach>
> tag handlers. That would really make a difference for all apps that
> use JSTL, while the potential gains from tag handler reuse depend on
> a lot of factors that varies between applications and the runtime
> environment.

+1 - "open coding" is far better ( for performance ). Is the API/model
for portable open coding defined and stable ? That would be by far the
biggest improvement in JSP performance.

But for people who use regular tag handlers - I think we need to fix
the tag pool, and a fixed tag pool will improve the performance
significantly. And if regular tags are used, for whatever reason,
recycling should be taken into account - if people care a bit
about performance.