This might start a bit of a flame-fest here, and if so I appologize, but I feel that
this is a valid point.
A lot of people have been critizing V. Cekvenich for his suggestion, and one of the
common reasons given was:

>Those who have systems in production and have spent alot of time developing
>applications which are hosted on those systems can't do a major upgrade like
>JVM 1.3 -> JVM 1.4 at the drop of a hat.

This particular version of the argument was posted by Glenn, and I believe he's
correct in stating this.
However, if you can't do a major upgrade like JVM 1.3 -> JVM 1.4 at the drop of a hat,
why would you consider
a major upgrade like Tomcat 4.X -> Tomcat 5 at the drop of a hat?

The many other arguments against requiring 1.4 notwithstanding (and I'm not attempting
to refute _any_ of them here), it would seem to me that testing a major version change
of Tomcat + a JVM  change wouldn't incur much more overhead than testing a major
version change of Tomcat alone.  Does anyone have any
comments/opinions/counterarguments? Or should I just shut my trap and concentrate on
the other reasons requiring J2SE 1.4 is a bad idea ;-)

Sean Reilly
Software Architect, Point2 Technologies, Inc.
(306) 955-1855
[EMAIL PROTECTED]