> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:46:54 +0100
> From: Remy Maucherat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [5.0.1] Tagging today
> To: Tomcat Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Costin Manolache wrote:
> > Remy Maucherat wrote:

> >>That's reasonable.
> >>+1 for fixing the bugs (I tried a bit and failed).
> >

> > +1 for fixing the bug too - but I don't know how :-)
> >
> > It seems to be introduced by one of the recent changes - I had no problem
> > compiling the admin few weeks ago. We either roll back the change or find
> > another way.
>
> The bug happens in the jsp-examples precompilation (which is supposed to
> work also, right ?). One of the tag examples apparently causes problems.

The strange thing is the error hapeened with source.jsp, which is not one
of the exmaples.  Do you guys know what it's for?

I also don't believe jsp-examples has been successful compiled with JSPC
before.  I know haven't tried that with JSP2.0 examples.  With automatic
compiling of the tag files, I won't be surprise if there are problems.  :)

> > One thing should be clear - precompiled jsps should be included with tomcat5
> > and we should strongly recommend ( and support ) this mode for production
> > sites. For development it is normal to compile the page, but doing the
> > compilation on a production server is really bad idea.
>
> +1.

+1 from me too.  However, is Jspc good enough now?  Are there areas that need
to be fixed?  We should not make this a requirement for tomcat5 and recommand
such a practice until it is good enough.  For now we should just turn off
precompilation of the examples until the problem is identified and fixed.