> You must be in a big rush -- I just got the message, I figure others may
> have not even checked their mail yet ;)

I didn't post that "no answer?" message.

> It's too low-level for the spirit of the Servlet Specification,

That's discouraging.

> - It'd be hard for the container to support these listeners in a
> performant manner.

Agreed. It would surely affect the i/o buffer size if set to a small
value.; in the case of Tomcat I believe this is
org.apache.coyote.http11.Constants.DEFAULT_HTTP_HEADER_BUFFER_SIZE (48k).
However, wouldn't prolific JavaDoc ameliorate that issue?

> it much.  What's a realistic use-case?

One use-case is to be able to provide an accurate upload or download
meter; I'm not aware of any way to do this with Servlets....are you?
(Note I said "accurate", not something like an animated gif which is
just a fancy wait cursor).