Howdy,

>> - It'd be hard for the container to support these listeners in a
>> performant manner.
>
>Agreed. It would surely affect the i/o buffer size if set to a small
>value.; in the case of Tomcat I believe this is
>org.apache.coyote.http11.Constants.DEFAULT_HTTP_HEADER_BUFFER_SIZE
(48k).
>However, wouldn't prolific JavaDoc ameliorate that issue?

JavaDoc along with a default configuration that retains current
performance might be OK.

>One use-case is to be able to provide an accurate upload or download
>meter; I'm not aware of any way to do this with Servlets....are you?
>(Note I said "accurate", not something like an animated gif which is
>just a fancy wait cursor).

It's funny you raise this point now.  We're discussing adding a progress
bar to commons-fileupload on the commons-dev list.  You may wish to
join/follow the discussion, as two other people have what they claim are
accurate implementations.  Needless to say, neither of them is asking
for a servlet specification change.

Do you have any other use cases?

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.