From: Remy Maucherat [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 8:04 AM
To: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: Re: Code Submission - Wild Card Aliases

George Sexton wrote:

I have completed the coding in o.a.t.u.http.mapper.Mapper

to implement

wild-card aliases.

If a request for a host is made, and that host is not

found, the code tests

the host and aliases list and looks for wild-cards.

So, a host name of www.mydomain.com would match an alias of

*.mydomain.com.

This additional level of testing is only done if the the

presented host name

is not found in the standard host list. Once a host is

found via wild-card,

it is added to the standard host list. Subsequent requests

for that host

name will find it via the standard search mechanism.

As part of the conversion, I re-worked the test harness

code and expanded it

to be a lot more complete. The output of the new test

harness with the

unmodified Mapper code matches identically the output of

the modified

mapper. IOW, I'm 99% confident that the behavior of the

Mapper matches the

old Mapper.

The time differential between the two runs is around 500ms

over 1 million

iterations. I.E. the original code runs in 8000 ms for 1

million iterations

of the testing code, while the new code takes 8500ms. The

new code adds

approximately 0.05 % to the time for a lookup.

I am running the modified mapper code with 5.5.9 on an

installation that has

40 hosts configured and it seems to be working correctly.

I'd really appreciate it if a committer would get this

added to the source

tree.

The complete modified Mapper.java file can be downloaded from:

http://www.mhsoftware.com/~gsexton/Mapper.java

If a decision is made to reject this patch, I'd appreciate

knowing why. If

there's something wrong from a coding or style perspective,

I'd be happy to

fix things.

-1 for lower performance and questionable use case.
(I didn't get the patch, but I don't really wish to)

Rémy