Stuart,

You basically need to write a wrapper .sh script to
tart tomcat and put it into the init.d directory. The
init.d directory varies with the linux distro but
common places a /etc/init.d and /etc/rc.d/init.d.
Then you need to create sym links to start/stop it on
the various run levels.  I refer you to your
documention on services under RedHat.

I believe that somebody mentioned that there is a
catalin.sh script that works as a service, so you may
not need to write one.

In most of the RedHat distros that I have used, there
is a script in the init.d directory named httpd that
takes care of stopping and starting apache as a
service.

I would look at the other scripts in init.d for
information on how to write one.

James

--- Stuart Stephen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I already have done the hard work of intergrating
> apache and tomcat together
> in the desired way. I now need to install the
> services. Going to the RPM is
> a backward step for me now. Ideally i'd like to
> understand how the services
> are installed under the linux os now.
>
> I'll still have to research it to get the Java
> applications started as
> services.

=====
Choose the Sprite when the Coke is placed before you...