I use the following script on RedHat 7.3 (I save this as
/etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat):

#!/bin/bash
#
# Startup script for the Tomcat Web Server
#
# chkconfig: 345 84 16
#              HTML, JSP, and servlets, and CGI if needed.
# processname: java

case "$1" in
  start)
        $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh
        ;;
  stop)
        $CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh
        ;;
  *)
        echo $"Usage: tomcat {start|stop}"
        exit 1
esac

exit 0

I then do the following with chkconfig:

chkconfig --add tomcat
chkconfig --level 345 tomcat on
chkconfig --list tomcat

If that still doesn't work, ensure that you've set CATALINA_HOME and
JAVA_HOME in /etc/profile.

Hope that helps,
Mike